Serviced accommodation is a dynamic lodging choice that redefines hospitality. These fully furnished properties surpass traditional hotels' amenities and flexibility and offer a fusion of convenience and homely comfort.
Ideal for travellers seeking a personalised experience, from brief stays to extended periods, serviced accommodations cater to diverse needs. Bridging the gap between hotel luxury and the warmth of home, these spaces captivate tourists, business nomads, and those craving a temporary haven.
Learn all you need to know in the serviced accommodation guide below:
What is serviced accommodation?
Serviced accommodations encompass fully furnished properties tailored for short or extended stays. They mirror hotel conveniences while embracing the familiarity of home, managed by individuals or companies to suit diverse needs like vacations, corporate housing, or temporary residence.
Examples of serviced accommodations include:
- Corporate housing: Furnished dwellings for business travellers on extended assignments, equipped with amenities like Wi-Fi and utilities included in the rent.
- Extended stay hotels: Designed for prolonged stays, these hotels offer suites or rooms with kitchenettes and work areas, akin to a home away from home.
- Serviced apartments: Fully furnished apartments akin to hotels, offering services like housekeeping and additional facilities such as gyms or pools.
- Boutique apart-hotels: A fusion of boutique hotels and serviced apartments, offering a personalised and luxurious experience.
- Residential building apartments: Some residential buildings offer serviced apartments with amenities and services within the premises.
How does serviced accommodation work?
Serviced accommodations operate seamlessly by integrating property management, hospitality services, and customised amenities to ensure guests enjoy a comfortable stay. Here’s a detailed look at their operational aspects:
Owners or management companies acquire and furnish properties, such as apartments or houses, with complete amenities and furnishings, offering a ready-to-move-in experience for guests.
Reservations and booking
These accommodations are advertised across multiple platforms, facilitating easy online booking or direct contact with management for both short and extended stays.
Arrival and check-in
Guests receive a warm welcome and access to the property through a reception desk or self-check-in methods using key lockboxes or digital systems.
Accommodations provide an array of services, encompassing housekeeping, maintenance, Wi-Fi, utilities, and often additional facilities like gyms or communal spaces. Some also extend concierge services for local assistance.
Dedicated staff remain available to promptly address any concerns or technical issues during the guest's stay.
Housekeeping and maintenance
Regular and thorough housekeeping services maintain the cleanliness and upkeep of the property. Maintenance staff promptly attend to any issues that arise.
Billing and check-out
Guests are billed according to the duration of their stay and any additional services utilised. Check-out involves returning keys and ensuring the property is left in good condition.
Feedback and reviews
Guests are encouraged to provide feedback, aiding management in enhancing services and guiding future guests.
Management and maintenance
The overseeing management ensures the property meets high-quality standards, handles bookings, manages staff, and consistently upgrades or renovates for ongoing excellence.
Why should you choose serviced accommodation?
Opting for serviced accommodation presents several advantages over traditional hotel stays or standard rentals. Consider the following reasons for choosing this option:
- Homely comfort: These accommodations offer separate living spaces, kitchens, and multiple bedrooms, providing more privacy and space compared to typical hotel rooms.
- Cost-efficiency: Especially for longer stays, serviced accommodations often offer discounted rates and amenities like kitchens, enabling guests to save on dining expenses.
- Flexibility: They cater to various stay lengths, accommodating diverse travel needs, whether it's a short weekend escape or an extended business assignment.
- Amenities and services: Providing services like housekeeping, Wi-Fi, laundry facilities, and sometimes additional perks like gyms, these accommodations offer a comprehensive experience.
- Local experience: Situated in residential areas, they allow guests to immerse themselves in local culture and lifestyle rather than tourist-centric zones.
- Work-life balance: Ideal for business travellers or remote workers, these spaces provide dedicated work areas while maintaining a comfortable living environment.
- Personalised touch: Some serviced accommodations offer concierge assistance, allowing guests to tailor their experience according to their preferences.
- Security and privacy: With secure entry systems and round-the-clock support, these accommodations prioritise guest security and privacy.
What type of guests stay in serviced accommodation?
Serviced accommodations attract a varied guest base due to their adaptability. These guests encompass:
- Business travellers: Professionals on short or extended trips appreciate the convenience and dedicated workspaces these accommodations offer.
- Tourists: Travellers seeking immersive experiences while enjoying home comforts opt for these accommodations to delve into local culture and neighbourhoods.
- Families: With multiple bedrooms, kitchens, and ample living spaces, families find these accommodations ideal for comfortable stays during vacations or relocations.
- Solo Travellers: Individuals travelling alone value the privacy, amenities, and central locations often provided by serviced accommodations.
- Relocating individuals: Those in transition or awaiting permanent housing prefer these accommodations for their flexibility and furnished setups.
- Medical tourists: Individuals seeking medical treatment or accompanying someone for medical reasons choose these accommodations for their longer stays and comfortable amenities.
- Event attendees: Guests attending conferences, events, or festivals opt for serviced accommodations due to their proximity to venues and the convenience they offer.
What is the difference between serviced and non-serviced accommodation?
Serviced accommodations mirror hotels with services like housekeeping and amenities such as gyms, ideal for flexible stays. They offer a personalised experience in fully furnished spaces.
Non-serviced options, on the other hand, provide minimal services and fewer amenities, appealing to those seeking independence and lower costs. These places might lack furnishings or regular housekeeping, targeting short-term stays without the conveniences of serviced accommodations.
Choosing between them hinges on preferences: serviced for a hotel-like experience and convenience, while non-serviced prioritises independence and affordability but with fewer amenities.
How to find serviced accommodation properties
To find serviced accommodation properties, several platforms and methods can be used:
- Online travel platforms: Websites like Airbnb, Booking.com, or Expedia often list a variety of serviced accommodations. Users can filter their search to specifically look for serviced properties.
- Serviced accommodation providers: Companies specialising in serviced accommodations, such as TrustedStays, have their own websites where properties can be found and booked.
- Real estate agencies: Some real estate agencies specialise in short-term rentals or corporate housing, offering a range of serviced accommodation options.
- Local directories: Local directories or listings specific to the area of interest might feature serviced accommodations. This could include tourism board websites or local directories.
How to make the most out of your serviced accommodation experience
Conduct comprehensive research on various serviced accommodations, considering factors such as location, proximity to amenities or attractions, reviews from previous guests, and the range of services provided. Compare options to align with your preferences and needs for a more fulfilling stay experience.
Establish clear communication with the accommodation provider before your arrival. Discuss any specific preferences, special requirements, or questions you might have about the property or its services. This proactive communication helps ensure a smoother check-in and can cater better to your needs.
Understand the services
Take time to fully comprehend the range and schedule of services offered by the accommodation, such as frequency of housekeeping, availability of additional facilities (e.g., fitness centres, laundry services), and any unique offerings specific to the property. Knowing these details enhances your ability to utilise and benefit from these amenities.
Make the most of the accommodation's amenities and facilities. Explore the offerings available, whether it's taking a dip in the pool, enjoying communal spaces, utilising the gym, or any other services provided. These additional facilities can significantly enhance your stay experience.
Personalise your space
Create a sense of home by arranging your belongings and adding personal touches to the accommodation. This could include organising your space for efficiency, bringing your favourite items for comfort, or adding decorative touches to make it feel more inviting and personalised.
Explore the locale
Immerse yourself in the local surroundings. Venture beyond the accommodation to experience the neighbourhood or city. Try local restaurants, visit nearby attractions, engage in local activities, and interact with the community to better understand the area's culture and lifestyle.
Serviced accommodations stand as a versatile lodging choice, blending the comforts of home with the conveniences of a hotel. Offering fully furnished spaces, personalised services, and diverse amenities, they cater to an array of guests—from business travellers seeking convenience to families craving space and flexibility. These accommodations grant freedom and customisation, allowing guests to create a home-like environment while exploring new locales.
With the ability to adapt to varying stay lengths and preferences, serviced accommodations present a compelling option for those desiring comfort, convenience, and a personalised experience away from home, enhancing travel experiences and fostering a sense of belonging wherever one roams.
1000s of quality assured homes across the UK
All property partners are independently accredited by the Short Term Accommodation Association
Professionally cleaned and managed homes, meeting the STAA'S guidance on cleaning standards
A home from home experience, even when you are travelling for work
Read what interests you most:About Us Press & Reviews Work Travel Property Management
Receive an exclusive guide when you sign up!
Simply sign up to our newsletter and be the very first to find out exclusive information for all the latest work travel and accommodation news and we’ll send you a free guide on making the most from short term rentals.
We won’t spam you. Ever.